It’s (almost) time to play the music, it’s (almost) time to light the lights, it’s (almost) time for “The Muppets Take the Bowl”! As you’ve probably heard, The Muppets are performing LIVE at the Hollywood Bowl on September 8, 9, and 10 in a spectacular show that’s guaranteed to be sensational, inspirational, and downright Muppetational!
Recently, we got the inside scoop about The Muppets and their big show from some experts, The Muppets themselves: Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, and more! Here are 10 weird, wonderful things we learned about The Muppets from The Muppets!
1. “The Muppets Take the Bowl” will showcase great moments from The Muppets’ past, present, and future.
Kermit shared a little bit of their history:“The Muppets have been entertaining folks since 1955, but this Hollywood Bowl performance is the first time we’re putting on a live show of this scale. It’s a real thrill to perform live in front of a huge audience. Here’s hoping they all like talking frogs, singing pigs and dancing chickens!”
2. Dr. Teeth and The Electric Mayhem are set to rock the Hollywood Bowl with a killer musical set.
Their legendary drummer, Animal, is extremely excited about the show, and told us a bit about what to expect: “BOWL!!!! BOWL!!!!! Rock and roll!!! Fun!!! LOUD!!!! FIREWORKS!!!!!!”
And while he couldn’t reveal what his act will be, he did tell us how to prepare for the performance: “If you really want to get the most out of my Hollywood Bowl act, bring a poncho, a change of shoes, a bike helmet, and a parakeet. Not necessarily in that order.”
4. The big fireworks finale every night will be overseen—and overblown—by The Muppets’ resident pyrotechnic expert, Crazy Harry.
He seems rather eager to get started: “It’s going to be a BLAST!!!!”
5. You won’t want to miss out on what Pepé the King Prawn has planned! He told us all about one of his big roles in the show:
“Naturally, I will be onstage, but I am also in charge of selling high-quality Muppets merchandise at a very reasonable (for me) price. Here, check out this Muppets T-shirt. Only worn three times, okay! Unbelievable!”
6. The show will feature a brand new “Muppet Labs” presentation starring Dr. Bunsen Honeydew and his always eager, often endangered assistant Beaker.
Dr. Honeydew is ready to make science come alive onstage: “Beaker and I will be presenting revolutionary scientific breakthroughs live, three nights in a row! Be prepared to be enraptured, enlightened, and—in Beaker’s case—ignited.”
7. We also discovered that the show will feature a brand new “Pigs in Space” episode live on stage, featuring the original crew!
Captain Link Hogthrob told us all about it: “We are thrilled to present the continuing adventures of the starship Swinetrek, starring me, Dr. Julius Strangepork, and First Mate Miss Piggy! If this goes as well as we think, we’re all hoping to get parts in the next ‘Star Wars’ movie.”
8. It wouldn’t be a Muppet show if everyone’s favorite hecklers, Statler and Waldorf, weren’t in the audience.
How excited are they? We’ll let them tell you:
Statler: “The Hollywood Bowl is a great venue for The Muppets.”
Waldorf: “And it’s great for the audience, too … as long as you’re not there when they’re performing! Doh-ho-ho-ho!”
9. Fozzie Bear is bringing his biggest laughs and his trademark “Wocka! Wocka!” to the Hollywood Bowl stage.
Here’s what he told us about his performance: “My jokes are sure to BOWL you over! Ahh, get it! Bowl you over … and it’s a Bowl. Wocka! Wocka! Don’t worry, I’ll have better material by opening night … Promise!”
10. Last, but most definitely not least, is the fabulous Miss Piggy, who is bringing what she calls “her greatest performance ever” to the Hollywood Bowl stage.
She humbly previewed the act for us: “All of Hollywood will gasp at the audacity, the ingenuity and the sheer expense of moi’s performance. I know the Oscars don’t typically give out awards for Hollywood Bowl shows, but this year I’m sure they will make an exception! Be there, sweetie!”
Want to see The Muppets live at the Hollywood Bowl?! Tickets are still available at HollywoodBowl.com/Muppets. Are you going to the show? Tell us, what are you most looking forward to?