Enjoy a healthful and delicious salad that perks up your winter menu with fresh greens and a big hit of flavor. This recipe from Wine Country Trattoria at Disney California Adventure serves up the best of the Golden State.
Arugula Salad Ingredients:
15 dried black mission figs, divided
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup warm water
1 cup prepared balsamic dressing
4 cups baby arugula
4 cups mixed baby greens
1/2 cup shaved or thinly sliced fennel bulb
1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
1 pound shredded smoked chicken (about 4 cups)
1 cup Spiced Walnuts
1/2 cup shaved aged (hard) goat cheese
Coarse salt and ground black pepper, to taste
Spiced Walnuts Ingredients:
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup walnut halves
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
For arugula salad:
1. Cut stems off of 12 figs; cut in half lengthwise. Combine balsamic vinegar and water in a medium bowl. Add halved figs to the balsamic mixture. Soak for at least 3 hours, and up to overnight. Drain figs, discarding soaking liquid.
2. Cut stems off of remaining 3 figs. Combine figs and prepared balsamic dressing in a blender. Puree until smooth. Set aside.
3. Combine arugula, mixed baby greens, shaved fennel, and red onion in a large bowl. Toss to combine. Place salad mixture into each of 4 serving bowls. Top each serving evenly with chicken. Drizzle each serving evenly with dressing, and top with halved figs, goat cheese, and walnuts.
For spiced walnuts:
1. Combine spices in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
2. Combine walnut halves and oil in a small saute pan over medium-high heat. Saute, stirring constantly, until walnuts start to toast and turn golden, about 2 minutes.
3. Sprinkle spice mixture over walnuts. Cook, tossing constantly, until walnuts are coated and mixture is fragrant, about 3 minutes.
4. Transfer walnuts to a plate to cool completely. Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
This recipe has been converted from a larger quantity in the restaurant kitchens. The flavor profile may vary from the restaurant’s version.
All recipes are the property of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., and may not be reproduced without express permission.