Have you ever seen those cool kids trading pins at a Disney Park and longed to be a part of their world?
Well you’ve come to the right place! In Pin Trading 101, we’ll take you through the ins and outs of the wonderful adventure that is pin trading.
Let’s start with the basics.
1. Materials – In order to partake in the trading element of pin trading, you first gotta own some pins. Lucky for you, the Disney Store has some handy dandy starter sets that come with pins and lanyards that will have you up and trading in no time. Lanyards are the mode of display for most traders, but more seasoned members of the community with lots of pins will bring them in binders to the parks for ultimate safe-keeping and preservation.
2. Outlets – Pins are available at several different retailers, some of which have more exclusive pins than others. Pins of all levels of exclusivity can be found everywhere—from the Parks to Disneystore.com to your neighborhood Disney Store. With a little snooping, you never know where your pin trading adventures will take you.
3. Terminology – A fair amount of traders will use the following terminology when trading.
OE – Open Edition. This refers to pins that have several copies.
LR – Limited Release. These pins are slightly harder to find.
LE – Limited Edition Size. These pins are very hard to find, with only a set number made.
Grail – This is the pin that you’d love to get, but can’t seem to find.
4. How to Trade – Display your pins either on a lanyard or in a public space. When you see a guest with pins, approach the guest and ask to see their pins. If you like one of their pins, you can request a trade with that person. You can also trade pins with cast members. Cast members can generally trade up to two pins with you.
5. Last But Not Least … Have Fun! – Pin trading is a great way to not only gather up some sweet collectables, but also to experience the Parks in a new way and maybe even make some new friends in the process! So what are you waiting for? Step into the magic and begin your pin trading journey!
Have lingering questions about pin trading that you’d like us to answer? Let us know in the comments!