Let us set the scene for you: it’s the year 1999. Dial-up internet is still a thing, a new millennium is on the horizon, and Touchstone Pictures releases 10 Things I Hate About You. This classic teen movie has been an Oh My Disney staff favorite for years, thanks to its angsty ska music, and perfect quotes to use on any occasion.
If you can believe it, today marks the 16th anniversary of 10 Things I Hate About You! To celebrate, we asked one of our editors (more like she begged) to watch the film again and come up with a list of 10 thoughts she had while watching 10 Things I Hate About You. She scoffed at such a petty number and instead came up with 35. You’re welcome, internet.
1. I already love this movie and the music is just starting. This font choice is the stuff of ‘90s dreams.
2. This movie opens up on a very rare, sunny Seattle day. I wonder how the filmmakers timed that?
3. Kat, you’re so cool. I will never be as cool as you.
4. Seriously, this is a high school? It looks like a castle! Why couldn’t I go to high school in a castle? It would have made those four years of education infinitely more interesting.
5. BABY JOSEPH GORDON-LEVITT (insert emoji with the heart eyes here). Seriously, I had the biggest crush on him back in the day (and still do).
6. Oh hello, Heath Ledger. I love that your character has a Shakespearean last name and I love everything about you in general.
7. No classic teen movie is complete without A) a new kid and B) someone taking said new kid on a tour of the school to show them where all the cliques hang out. It’s Teen Movie 101.
8. And I just fell in love with Cameron (aka Joseph Gordon-Levitt) even more when he drops a Shakespeare quote in the middle of a conversation.
9. “There’s a difference between like and love. Because, I like my Sketchers, but I love my Prada backpack.” “But I love my Skechers” “That’s because you don’t have a Prada backpack.” This is my favorite quote.
10. Cameron’s dedication to Bianca, even though they haven’t talked to each other yet, is impressive.
11. The jury is still out on whether you can just be whelmed.
12. Kat and Bianca’s house is the stuff dreams are made of. I’m filing a porch under my life goals.
13. Ew, frog dissection.
14. Patrick’s like, “Yeah I play with fire and drill holes through your French textbook, it’s cool.”
15. $50 to take a girl out? Even adjusted for inflation, I feel like that’s pretty cheap.
16. Kat’s vocabulary and coolness levels are off the charts.
17. As a former film student, I really enjoy the shot of all the party flyers falling perfectly down the stairwell.
18. “Are you telling me I’m not a pretty guy?” – Patrick. I’m giggling right now at the cuteness.
19. Kat and Bianca’s dad overprotectiveness is absolutely hilarious.
20. My reaction to Joey’s modeling faces is Bianca’s reaction to Joey’s modeling faces.
21. “Well, she is or she isn’t. See first of all, Joey is not half the man you are. Secondly, don’t let anyone ever make you feel like you don’t deserve what you want. Go for it.” Patrick gives the best advice.
22. I won’t lie, I wish I had a poster of Shakespeare in my locker. It would have given me a lot more street cred than the Zac Efron High School Musical poster I had. It’s sad, but true.
23. Bianca just straight up shot some guy with an ARROW! WHY IS THIS NOT A BIGGER DEAL TO HER?
24. Everything about the Patrick singing on the bleachers scene makes is so wonderful. Every ‘90s girl dreamed of having this scene actually happen in real life and be serenaded in such a publicly embarrassing manner.
25. Paddle boats and an epic balloon paint fight? Best date ever.
26. It’s one thing to be told off in English. It’s a whole other level of angry to be told off in French.
27. Can I just take a moment to appreciate Bianca’s epic crop top/skirt combo prom dress? I feel like I could pull this off now, and be really cool at some hipster function.
28. Also, why does prom have to be the pinnacle moment in every teen movie? This is a rhetorical question, because there really is no answer.
29. Poll time: Did anyone’s prom have an actual band in the ‘90s. If so, I’m really jealous.
30. WHO ARE THESE BOY BACKUP DANCERS? They have some pretty great moves.
31. Bianca is my hero. End of discussion.
32. Oh gosh, the poem scene. First of all, I performed this as a monologue in my freshman year drama class, so I have a lot of sentimental attachment to it. It’s one of my favorite scenes in the movie, because it’s such a perfect emotional moment that’s not cheesy in anyway shape or form.
33. I’ve always wanted that guitar. It’s so pretty.
34. “But then, you know, there’s always drums, and bass, and maybe even one day a tambourine.” A perfect last line with a wonderful cover of “I Want You To Want Me.”
35. Woah, HOW DID THEY GET A BAND ON THE ROOF OF THE CASTLE SCHOOL?