When it comes to our favorite hobbies, calling things out for being “so meta” is right up there with playing “The Floor is Made of Lava” and pointing out cute dogs to our friends. Right now we’re in an office, so there are tragically no cute dogs around, and HR gets mad when we jump from desk to desk, so here are some meta Disney movie moments.
1. When Flynn makes history by being an animated character who actually questions why everyone is singing and dancing.
2. Nani, a totally rad Disney lady, has a poster of Mulan, another totally rad Disney lady, hanging in her bedroom.
4. During the chase scene in The Emperor’s New Groove, the dots tracking everyone’s progress on the map also appear on the ground. Everyone acknowledges this, shrugs, and continues.
5. And then when Kronk and Yzma beat Kuzco and Pacha back, Kronk admits, “By all accounts, it doesn’t make sense.”
6. Basically maps are just inherently meta because the Muppets also travel by map.
7. In An Extremely Goofy Movie, Bobby asks the big question: “Do you ever wonder why we’re like, wearing gloves?”
8. Zazu sings “it’s a small world” to Scar, and Scar becomes the voice of the people when he says “No! No! Anything but that!”
9. When Timon breaks the fourth wall: “Pumbaa, not in front of the kids.”
10. Hercules merchandise is a plot point in the movie, which is hilarious and meta because the movie itself spawned Hercules merchandise.
11. Belle, Pumbaa, and Aladdin’s magic carpet all appearing in the opening scene of The Hunchback of Notre Dame, plus every other Disney easter egg.
What Disney movie moment has made you shout “so meta” at your screen lately? Let us know below.