Everyone has a favorite Disney Princess and favorite Disney Princess movies. There’s something about each of these ladies that we connect with whether it’s Belle’s hopes for adventure, Tiana’s drive to achieve her dreams, Cinderella’s optimism, or Ariel’s longing for something more. We see bits of them in ourselves, and that’s what makes their movies just a little extra magical. But, that magic is actually the result of a lot of hard work, and trial and error. Here are some fun facts about the making of these royally excellent films that will make you appreciate them even more:
1. Rapunzel is the only Disney Princess with a supernatural power.
2. Merida has a total of 22 different costumes (dresses, a cloak, quiver, head wrap, and necklaces).
3. In Cinderella, the characters Gus and Jaq were both voiced by the same person: James Macdonald.
4. In an early version of the story, Pocahontas’ mother was embodied by a star. The star helped Pocahontas find her path to John Smith. Filmmakers eventually integrated the spirit of her mother into the swirling wind.
5. The voice actor for Sleeping Beauty’s mother is unknown because at the time, smaller roles were not given a credit. It has been suggested that it may have been Verna Felton who provided the voice of the fairy, Flora.
6. In 1979, a stage version of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs was performed at Radio City Music Hall.
7. Jackie Chan voiced Shang in the Chinese version of Mulan.
8. Sebastian’s full name is Horatio Felonious Ignacious Crustaceous Sebastian.
9. According to animator Glen Keane, Aladdin’s looks are fashioned after Tom Cruise, his personality after Michael J. Fox, and his clothing style after M. C. Hammer.
10. In Beauty and the Beast, Beast went through a lot of different character designs including features based on those of a baboon, and a mantis, before his look was finalized.
11. Tiana is left handed.
Which fact did you find most interesting? Tell us in the comments below!