We know you’re itching to get your hands on the home entertainment release of Aladdin, but before you grab it and re-watch it three times, we’ve got some ideas of how you can turn the experience into an unforgettable movie night.
We’re thinking loads of tasty snacks, colourful decorations and all your nearest and dearest. So if you’re ready to make all of your three wishes come true, check out how you can host your very own Aladdin-themed movie night. SET THE THEME
As with any themed movie night, getting the atmosphere right is vital in making your guests feel like they’ve stepped into the world of Agrabah. Adorn your living room by incorporating key Aladdin colours in your decor, including royal purple, teal, bright orange, red and of course, plenty of gold.
Here are some quick and easy ways to turn your home into a palace:
- Hang fairy lights or wrap them around your furniture for a dimly lit, twinkly vibe.
- Grab a collection of silky table covers to drape around your sofa, across the floor and even to hang on walls to give your home a palace-like appearance.
- Remember, the magic is in the details: use golden goblets instead of cups, floor cushions instead of chairs and make sure your cutlery is shining, shimmering and splendid! For those who are a tad extra (we see you), swap basic white napkins for purple-coloured ones. You could even wrap them in red ribbons for a touch of luxury.
- The dollar store is your friend so treat it like a bustling bazaar. It’s where you’ll be able to pick up sequined cushions in tropical tones, golden candle holders, glitter to sprinkle across tables, glass or paper lanterns, colourful feathers, the odd crystal bowl or jars and artificial flowers to completely transform your lounge room.
Tip: Decorate almost any object or area with different coloured tassels and necklace beads. They can be wrapped around jars, cups, hung on walls and even used to jazz up door handles.
We know that popcorn is a must for any movie night, but you’re sure to create an unforgettable night with a wide variety of yummy Aladdin-themed snacks. Here are some of our favourites:
- Lay out a yummy fruit platter or colourful fruit skewers fit for a Sultan. Add watermelon wedges, grapes, pineapple, strawberries, fresh dates and any other fruity treats your heart desires.
- For those with a sweet tooth, fill small bowls with purple jellybeans, chocolates covered in multicoloured wrapping and snake lollies. For a touch of luxury, place chocolate coins around the table and have them pouring out of a treasure chest for the ultimate touch of royalty.
- Add an Aladdin-themed twist to your favourite Aussie party treat. For example, instead of using butter as a base for fairy bread, spread purple icing on bread and decorate with yellow and red sprinkles.
- Adorn cupcakes with turquoise, purple and red coloured icing.
No Aladdin-themed movie night is complete without… well, costumes! Make an entrance by dressing up as your favourite character and don’t forget to encourage your guests to arrive looking the part as well. We’re thinking loose-fitting harem pants and vests, turquoise headbands, gold jewellery and billowing chiffon dresses.