We just got out of the Muppets panel at the D23 Expo and it was a wonderful combination of zaniness and insight, culminating in a mupeteering masterclass with members of the audience live on stage! The muppeteers gave us a lot of reasons (9 to be exact) to be excited about The Muppets, premiering September 22 on ABC. Here’s all the new stuff we learned about the upcoming show:
1. The Muppets, is really two shows in one: a mockumentary and Piggy’s new late night talk show.
2. 90% of the show is backstage antics, like we know and love from The Muppet Show, but modernized for today.
3. Kermit is Piggy’s show runner, Uncle Deadly is the “wardrobe mistress”, Gonzo, Rizzo and Pepe are her show writers, the Swedish Chef is craft services, Bunsen and Beaker are props and Sam Eagle is head of Standards and Practices.
4. On the show, Rowlf owns a Tavern where the gang comes to unwind after a long day of shooting.
5. Pepe has asked Michelle Pfeiffer, Sofia Vergara, Reese Witherspoon, and Anne Hathaway (his favorite actors) to guest star. No word if they’ve responded.
6. According to Dave Goelz, Kermit’s one mistake as show runner is “hiring his friends.”
7. When asked why Fozzie was with his new girlfriend on the show, he responded “I’m that guy that’s not gonna say no if someone asks me out.”
8. The crew has only been shooting the show for a week, and they’ve already done 2-3 kinds of shots they’ve never done with the Muppets before.
9. There will be 4-5 all-new “Pigs in Space” shorts released online sometime in the near future!
What are you most excited to see in The Muppets? Tell us in the comments!
Check out the rest of our D23 Expo coverage!