Walt Disney Studios just released the first footage we’ve seen of the upcoming Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, the fifth installment in the savvy, supernaturally fun franchise. We’ve honestly never felt more excited on a Sunday night. The first look has all the irreverence of the first film, and this writer was legitimately spooked by the zombie pirates. Watch it here:
- Happily on edge. The scene is delightfully spooky.
- Stunned by the visuals. Gorgeous.
- Smug. The militia has no idea what’s coming.
- Okay, now we are scared.
- Amazed at the way Javier Bardem’s character’s hair moves as though he’s under water. So cool.
- Intrigued. This is newcomer Brendan Thwaites.
- Nightmare-enducing moment when we realized there’s a pirate with half of his face missing.
- Huzzah! Love that “Wanted” sign.
- Anticipation. Is it Ma7 2017 yet?
Here’s a rundown of the plot: Thrust into an all-new adventure, a down-on-his-luck Captain Jack Sparrow finds the winds of ill-fortune blowing even more strongly when deadly ghost pirates led by his old nemesis, the terrifying Captain Salazar (Bardem), escape from the Devil’s Triangle, determined to kill every pirate at sea … including him. Captain Jack’s only hope of survival lies in seeking out the legendary Trident of Poseidon, a powerful artifact that bestows upon its possessor total control over the seas.
Johnny Depp will reprise his iconic role as Captain Jack Sparrow and will be joined by Javier Bardem, Kayla Scodelario, Brenton Thwaites, and Golshifteh Farahani. Geoffrey Rush, Kevin R. McNally, and Stephen Graham are rejoining the action as Barbossa, Gibbs, and Scrum, respectively.
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales opens in theaters May 26, 2017.