The Force was strong on Day 2 of D23 Expo, especially in the Walt Disney Studios Live-Action panel, where we got a peak inside the making of Star Wars: The Last Jedi, which is set to hit theaters on December 15. Director Rian Johnson took the stage to thunderous applause, and he brought out some of our faves: Daisy Ridley (Rey), John Boyega (Finn), Gwendoline Christie (Captain Phasma), and Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker.) We also were treated with appearances by Laura Dern, Benicio Del Toro, and Kelly Marie Tran, who will all be in the film. As if that wasn’t enough, Rian Johnson gifted the audience a first look at this brilliant BTS footage from the set:
There is so much to see in the video including first looks at the set, interviews with the cast, and really touching on set moments. Here were some of our favorites:
- Kelly Marie Tran saying: “Star Wars is so cool because there’s all these creatures and these amazing effects but all the characters are also so complex.” Pretty much our thoughts exactly
- Daisy Ridley running as the camera speeds in front of her. She is such a boss.
- Literally any moment where the actors and crew are laughing together on set. Love.
- When Daisy, Rian, and Mark all hum the Star Wars theme song on day one of shooting. Rian is also holding a Millenium Falcon-shaped sign to indicate the day. It’s great.
- Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill dancing on set. So much love.
- Daisy Ridley and John Boyega dancing on set. Sensing a theme here.
- Carrie Fisher saying in an interview: “It’s about family. And that’s what’s so powerful about it.” We love you, Carrie.
We are just so in love with the cast and crew of Star Wars: The Last Jedi and absolutely cannot wait until December 15 when we can see them in action again.