If you were anything like me when you were a kid, you looked forward to one day of the week above all others. Monday through Friday were a tough grind filled with math, science, and social studies (to be fair, I always liked social studies). Even when you left school, you still had homework, and another school day was just a few hours away.
Then came Saturday.
Ah, yes. The glory of Saturday. Freedom from the daily tasks of the school week. Freedom to fully relax and enjoy the day. And there was no better way to start it than with a Saturday morning programming block on ABC called One Saturday Morning.
One Saturday Morning ran from 1997 to 2002 on ABC and gave an entire generation a reason to not sleep in on Saturdays. You know you watched One Saturday Morning when …
- … you are still wondering what “illuminating television” means, but you don’t question it.
- … you know all the words to the Pepper Ann theme song.
- … you thought that the One Saturday Morning building was the coolest and wish you could actually go there.
- … you were so excited when Doug’s 1st Movie was announced.
- … your favorite Disney movies became TV series (101 Dalmatians, Hercules, Buzz Lightyear, Legend of Tarzan, Jungle Cubs, The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh).
- … you imaged your friend group at school as the characters from Recess …
- … but your friend group on the weekend as The Weekenders.
- … you thought that Spot Helperman from Teacher’s Pet sounded just like Timon from The Lion King.
- … you still think that Gargoyles protect the night.
- … you miss your five hours of summer once a week.
Did you grow up with One Saturday Morning? Tell us your memories in the comments!